The goal of Washington State's Safety of Newborn Children Law is to save the lives of newborns in danger of abandonment.
Under the law, you may leave your newborn in a safe haven if:
- You are within 72 hours of the baby's birth
- You physically hand the baby to a qualifed person
- at the emergency department of a hospital in Washington State, to an employee, volunteer or medical staff (doctor). This is the safest drop-off location. PeaceHealth Southwest's Emergency Department will provide safe haven for your newborn.
- at a fire station, to a fire fighter, volunteer or emergency medical technician.
As long as the newborn is brought in unharmed from abuse or neglect:
- No one will ask your name
- You will not be breaking any laws
- Your baby will be given medical care and placed in a good home.
- You will be provided with information on medical care and counseling.
CALL A CRISIS LINE: 1-877-440-BABY (2229)