Falls are the leading cause of unintentional injury for all ages. In Clark County, Washington, falls are the leading cause of non-fatal injuries and the fourth leading cause of accidental death.
The good news is many falls are preventable!
It's up to each of us to modify our environment to keep ourselves and our families safe.
From the National Trauma Data Bank
From the Washington State Department of Health Trauma Registry
- Falls account for 27% of cases in the National Trauma Data Bank
- Falls are the leading cause of injury over the age of 55
- Deaths from falls significantly increase in this over 60 years of age
- The incidence of falls peaks at 81 years of age
- Falls are associated with the second largest number of days in the hospital and intensive care unit
- Falls account for 18.3% of deaths
Fall prevention tips provided by PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center and the Vancouver Fire Department.
- Falls are the leading cause of injury in southwest Washington
- Repeated falls involving the same person are common
- Ground levels and falls from roofs, ladders, furniture, and steps make up the majority of injuries