St. Joseph's moves to new quarters
By the summer of 1866, the hospital quarters had become entirely inadequate. A building at the corner of Eighth and Reserve Streets, formerly St. John's Lunatic Asylum, was renovated to serve as a hospital. In early 1867, patients were relocated to this white two-story building.
In 1868, a large addition to the building was constructed, and in 1872, the existing hospital was nearly doubled in size by the addition of a new building at its eastern end.
Fire destroyed St. Joseph's Hospital on September 1, 1878. By the time the fire engines were able to start pouring water on the flames, the blaze was beyond control. The building burned in one hour but no injuries resulted either to patients or hospital attendants. There was no insurance on the building.
New St. Joseph's Hospital dedicated
A $50 donation by Doctor McClellan and smaller amounts totaling $1,000 were spontaneously offered. Then Mother Joseph went to the mining camps to solicit funds for a new building. Construction started on October 4, 1878 at the same site where the burned building had been. Patients were installed on March 24, 1879.