The stroke center includes medical experts in emergency medicine, neurology, neurosurgery and rehabilitation. The team of caregivers also includes social workers, physical, occupational and speech therapists, and a stroke coordinator, Lisa Pickens, RN, MSA, CCRN.
When you provide services in such a combined manner, chances are there will be better outcomes and recognition. PeaceHealth Southwest has been certified by The Joint Commission for stroke services. This rigorous evaluation process shows compliance with national standards, effective use of established clinical practice guidelines to manage and optimize care, and performance measurement and improvement activities. That means you can expect the highest quality of care and treatment from a certified stroke center.
PeaceHealth Southwest's level of care has also received recognition by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF). Recognition particularly centered on the team's sensitivity to safety, including one-on-one approaches to treatment and rehabilitation.
Dr. Djergaian is among the physical medicine and rehabilitation practitioners who also work with patients recovering from strokes in the Inpatient Rehab Center, located on the hospital’s fourth floor. His medical practice works closely with neurologists, neurosurgeons and other specialists of PeaceHealth Southwest’s Brain and Spine Center.
Contact: Stroke Center, 360.514.3273
Published July 2008, Updated May 2009.
INGREDIENTS FOR A
QUALITY STROKE PROGRAM
- The ability to perform tests and make assessments in an emergency room setting within 45 minutes
- A range of treatment options, including tissue plasminogen activator (tPA) to break up blood clots and endovascular procedures to clear blockages
- Endovascular stroke specialists and stroke neurologists at the ready 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- A hospital floor dedicated to stroke patients and staffed by nurses specially trained to care for these patients
- Early introduction of rehabilitative therapy, which has been shown to improve how well and how quickly patients recover
- A comprehensive rehabilitation program in the same location as the hospital
- Patient education materials