PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center Student Checklist
1. PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center (PHSW) requires all students to wear an identification badge from our organization. The badge is provided through our Human Resources (HR) Department. This badge will give door access in ‘caregiver’ only parts of the Medical Center including hallways, elevators, unit kitchens, staff lounges and scrub machines.
The process will be as follows:
- Our office will send the student names sent from your school to the ID Badges & Media Center Office. They must receive the list to authorize badge distribution.
- Go to the badging office located in the Health Education Center next to Auditorium B for photo and badge activation no sooner than one week prior to the beginning of the clinical rotation. Please bring picture identification with you. The hours are 9:00am to Noon or 2:00pm to 4:00pm Monday-Friday.
- The name badge will have your photo, your first name, the term ‘nursing student’ and the nursing school name. Do not place any pins in the name tag as this will destroy the scanning capability.
- We will provide the first badge at no cost to you.
- The badge must be returned at the completion of the clinical rotation to the Education Department via the clinical instructor or school of nursing representative.
- We will reactivate and reissue your badge if you return for another clinical rotation.
- If a badge is lost or misplaced, please contact the Education Department at (360)514-2190 immediately.
- There will be a $10.00 fee for a replacement badge.
2. Complete the online general orientation program available through StudentMax Connection at http://tcps-ocn.org once a year. Your school should have your login and password information. It is estimated to take approximately 2 hours to complete these 5 generic modules on Emergency Preparedness, Confidentiality and Compliance, Infection Control, Safety and Dealing with Diverse Populations.
3. Complete the PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center facility specific forms, and give to your clinical instructor or designated School of Nursing (SON) contact a minimum of two weeks prior to your clinical rotation.
4. Most of you will attend a 3.5 hour computer training class to learn the very basics of our barcoding medication administration system and our electronic documentation. This class will also include glucose meter hands on training.
Your clinical instructor will arrange the training class date and time, unless you are in your final, senior rotation/precepted/capstone placement and the only one from your SON. If this is the case, contact the clinical placement coordinators and you will be given the student computer trainer contact information:
You will not attend computer training if you are placed in the following areas:
- Cancer Center
- Cardiac Rehab
- Cardiovascular Angiography Department (CVAD)
- Cardiovascular Observation (CVO)
- Emergency Department
- Family Medicine Southwest
- Memorial Urgent Care Clinic
- Pain Clinic
- PeriOperative Services
· Fill out the Student HCI User Password Verification Statement for computer access and check the 'need HSM' box.
· This includes Surgery, PACU, Short Stay Unit (SSU), and Same Day Services-Medical (SDS). Those departments will do their own computer training.
- Ray Hickey Hospice House
· Fill out the Student HCI User Password Verification Statement for computer access but students do NOT need computer training class. The Hospice House staff will do their own computer training.
- Wound Healing & Hyperbaric Oxygen Center
Computer training is held in the Medical Center's Physician's Building, Building B in the basement room LL 20 and must occur prior to the start of your clinical experience.
Please do not attempt to access computers onsite until computer training is completed.
For students who have done previous rotations at this facility:
5. Complete the Nova Glucose Meter Computer Based Training (if you plan on checking blood sugars).
Fill in the following information:
- First Name: Your first name
- Last Name: Your last name
- Department: Name of School
- Employee ID: Student ID
- Hospital Name: PHSW
Complete the training and print out your Certificate of Completion.
Please bring a copy of the certificate to computer class.
- You will be assigned your own barcode to use for the glucose meters at your scheduled computer class.
- This barcode will be valid until you graduate
- Following computer class, your Clinical Instructor will have you perform a high and low QC with the meter
For those students who do not come through computer training: After completing the online training, go to the Education Department to pick up your barcode and further instructions.
6. All faculty and students must show documentation of Influenza Vaccination during flu season. If you or a student needs to, they may fill out the declination form for our documentation.
7. Carry your clinical student passport at all times at all clinical sites.
8. Students should complete a Clinical Site Evaluation for PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center at the end of their clinical rotation.
If you have any questions, contact the clinical placement coordinators: