Download PDF file of this page.
What is PeaceHealth Southwest's Secure E-mail?
A secure e-mail message system that meets all patient confidentiality laws and regulations. Secure e-mail is not to be used for urgent or sensitive care issues.
For full information about secure e-mail, go to http://www.swmedicalcenter.org/body.cfm?id=3454. You may refer patients to this web site.
Read the detailed manual in HTML or PDF format
Creating secure e-mail
- Secure E-mail is an ‘outbound' secure messaging feature that works with Microsoft Exchange e-mail service.
- Allows secure communication with patients, partners, government agencies, or anyone with whom we need to secure our e-mail communications.
- You must generate the secure e-mail. Attachments and replies related to this email will also be secure and fully encrypted.
- As the e-mail is generated within PeaceHealth Southwest, you should not request additional identifying patient information.
- Microsoft Outlook will automatically scan your e-mail to determine if it contains confidential information that must be secured. Confidential information may include, but is not limited to, PHI, financial, SSN.
- You may also identify an e-mail to be secured by typing [SECURE] in the subject line. Note: To ensure encryption, ‘secure' must be in brackets [ ]. The word is not case sensitive.
- Other than the exceptions listed here, use secure e-mail just as you would regular e-mail.
- For detailed information on how to use the service, go to http://www.swmedicalcenter.org/body.cfm?id=3493.
Saving secure e-mails
- To save the e-mail, use Select All from the menu bar on your browser (Explorer, Netscape, etc.). Copy the email and paste it into a word processing document.
- Important: When you save the information to your computer, the saved file on your computer is no longer secure, so use caution when saving.
- Once a secure message has been deleted, it cannot be retrieved.
- Secure messages are automatically deleted 24 hours after you read it.
What happens to unopened e-mail?
If an e-mail is not opened within 24 hours of it being sent, you and the recipient will receive a notice.
The patient may request that you notify them when you receive their email. There is no automatic notification when replies are received.
If your email is ‘undeliverable', Outlook will send you a message.
- PeaceHealth Southwest cannot provide direct customer support for how to use PeaceHealth Southwest secure e-mail.
- Patients are being told to ask their health care provider - that's you - to answer questions they may have about using secure e-mail.
- We should not ask for any other identifying information. Patients are asked to report any requests for additional identifying information.
- To report a possible violation of secure e-mail or to report a malfunction, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 360.514.2915.